1766 - The First Mecklenburg County Courthouse
"The First Courthouse was a log cabin, built on ten-foot tall brick pillars. This tradition of raising the courthouse or main town market building was borrowed from England, and provided an open space at the center of town that could be used for the selling of animals, produce and other goods. Additionally, in the center of the open space, a post was driven into the ground to mark the middle of town, from which distances to other towns, river fords, and other destinations could be measured."
from Courthouses of Mecklenburg County, 1766-2007 (Mecklenburg County, 2007)