1810 - Second Mecklenburg County Courthouse
"The Second Courthouse was built by John Dow in 1810 in the intersection of Trade and Tryon Streets. . . . The Second Courthouse was the place of enforcement of judgments. The whipping post, pillory, and stocks stoood on the street outside the courthouse, in full view of the judge from his bench inside the Courthouse. The Second Courthouse also served as a place of worship, with ministers of all denominations using the lower floor for preaching when they came to Charlotte and as a place for social gatherings, including dances, which were held on its second floor."
from Courthouses of Mecklenburg County, 1766-2007 (Mecklenburg County, 2007)