1875 - Jewish Community
During the Civil War, Charlotte's Jews raised $150 to help Confederate volunteers. In 1868, the Hebrew Cemetery was established on McCall Street. Although it will be many years before the Hebrew Congregation has its own building in which to worship, area Jews will maintain a tradition of charitable deeds. This year they will help fund an old-age home.