1878 - First Hospital
A group of Episcopal women led by Jane Wilkes begin St. Peter's Home and Hospital. It is the first civilian hospital in North Carolina. Although St. Peter's will become part of Charlotte Memorial Hospital in 1940, its building will remain standing at the corner of Sixth and Poplar streets. Fashionable condominiums will occupy the building more than 100 years later.