1897 - The Fourth Mecklenburg County Courthouse
"The Fourth Courthouse, designed by architect Frank Pierce Milburn, . . . was located at 301 South Tryon Street (on the same property where Queens College had been established in 1771). The main entrance had an open portico surmounted by a large dome. The Independence Monument graced the courtyard in front of the Courthouse."
from Courthouses of Mecklenburg County, 1766-2007 (Mecklenburg County, 2007)