Asbury



Lewis H. Asbury was one of Charlotte's first architects and, as the first North Carolina member of the American Institute of Architects, had a significant impact on the development of the organization in North Carolina.
 
Lewis Asbury was a native Charlottean. He was a graduate of Trininity College, now Duke University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
 
He opened his office in Charlotte. During his career of forty eight years he designed many of Charlotte's most well known buildings. He is best known as the designer of the Mecklenburg Courthouse and Law Building.
 
Other notable works include: the Professional Building, the Doctors Building, Efirds Department Store, Myers Park Methodist Church, Stonewall Jackson School, and a number of Charlotte's most striking homes. He was known for his striking Tudor design and for his use of Neo-Gothic and Colonial Revival elements in his structures.

LastName: 
Asbury
FirstName: 
Louis
MiddleName: 
H.
Dates: 
(1877-1975)
Image Path: 
asbury.jpg