Baird School For Boys

Baird School for Boys Charlotte, North Carolina
Baird School for Boys
 
Major J.G. Baird of South Carolina purchased the building once used by the Macon School for Boys, which closed in 1890. Shortly thereafter, Major Baird purchased the school which was then located at the corner of Sixth and Poplar Streets. The Baird School for Boys later moved to the brick building on Poplar Street seen in this photograph. The school continued from 1890 until his death in 1927. The "JSP" over the entrance way refers to the Latin phrase Juvenes Spes Patriae, which translated means, “Young Men, Hope, Country.”