Douglas Municpal Airport

Douglas Municipal Airport
The Charlotte Municpal Airport opened in 1936 under the auspices of the city of Charlotte. During World War II, the United States Army Airforce  took over the management of the airport and established Morris Field Air Base in 1941. The airfield was used by the Third Airforce for antisubmarine patrols and training. After the war, a passenger terminal was added, and the airport was renamed the Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben E. Douglas (1894-1981).

Image Path: 
/sites/default/files/ncrImageGallery/CP_2007_04_536_00.jpg
Image Year: 
1960
Physical Description: 
3 x 5 postcard
Format: 
Image Negative: 
0
Print: 
1
Publisher: 
Dexter Press
Photographer: 
Ernest Bostelman for B & H Photo Company
Table of Contents | Request Images