Johnson C. Smith University

 
Biddle Hall Carnegie Library
First known as Biddle University, Johnson C. Smith University was founded in 1870 on Beatties Ford Road. Colonel W.R. Myers donated the land. The school was named for its financial benefactor, Mary Biddle. On March 1, 1923, the school changed its name to Johnson C. Smith University in honor of another donor. In the center of the postcard is Biddle Hall (1884), and on the right is the Carnegie Library (1911).

Image Path: 
/sites/default/files/ncrImageGallery/CP_2004_04_525s.jpg
Image Year: 
1938
Physical Description: 
3 x 5 postcard
Format: 
Image Negative: 
0
Print: 
1
Table of Contents | Request Images