Pleasant Plains Baptist Church and Cemetery
The cemetery is next to the church and can be seen from the road. This church and cemetery are where Mecklenburg and Union Counties join.
The cemetery is next to the church and can be seen from the road. This church and cemetery are where Mecklenburg and Union Counties join.
This is one of the oldest cemeteries in the area and is the earliest burial ground for the Philadelphia Presbyterian Church in Mint Hill. It is also known as the Ashcraft Cemetery, but it does not have Ashcraft names on the tombstones. It got its name from the old school that once was nearby. The surnames in this cemetery are Harris, Alexander, Moore, Maxwell, Wilson, Robb, Morris, Cuery and Rodger.
The church was organized in 1884. Some names in the cemetery are Gresham, Gluyas, Griffin, Reames, Stephens, Price, Faires, Blythe, McCoy, Kirksey. The cemetery is behind the church. The property is on a hill. The best view of the cemetery is from the back of the church.
Documentation
(1) William J. Charles survey for the Mecklenburg Genealogy Society on 7-25-1983.
(2) Mary Beth Gatza abstracted the cemetery burials, which are incomplete.
It is located on Charlotte Mecklenburg property parcels as #10109128. The cemetery is in a wooded area behind the church and is not visible from N. Sharon Amity, due to the thick vegetation. The church is directly across the street from the Queen City Apostolic Church. According go a posted sign, the Pleasant Valley Baptist Church was also used by a Hispanic church, but as of 10/2010. The church building has since been demolished. The church name has also had Primitive Baptist as part of its name in some records.
The rock wall that was built around it is a memorial to Major John Davidson. The Davidson home, once occupied by Major Davidson, is located on the opposite side of Neck Rd. See also Davidson Family Cemetery. The cemetery is behind a large brick wall and is easily visible from the road.
This is not a complete list of burial records. There is a dirt road between 2 homes on Liberton Ct. that will dead end at the cemetery.
This cemetery was originally where I-485 runs through Charlotte/Pineville. It was relocated to the James K. Polk State Historic Site. The photos will show both the approximate location of the original site as well as the relocation. The James K. Polk State Historic Site provided the Carolina Room has some information from the headstones. This cemetery is at the back of the property and is located past the visitor's center office and parking lot.
Angela Dawn Johnson abstracted many burial records and gave them to PLCMC in 3/2000. This cemetery is visible from Rozzelles Ferry Rd.
Documentation:
Angela Dawn Johnson abstract 3/2000.
The cemetery is on the side of the church and can be seen from the road.
Jerusha Louisa Rook McGinn, who died in 1919, is buried there. Marie Elliott McClure